- Founded in September of 1995, eBay is a global
online marketplace where practically anyone can trade
- eBay has a global presence in 39 markets, including
- eBay has approximately 276 million registered users
- Marketplaces net revenues totaled a record $1.5
billion in Q4-07, representing a year-over-year growth
rate of 21 percent. With 46 percent from US operations
and 54 percent from our International business.
- In Q4-07, gross merchandise volume (GMV), the total
value of all successfully closed items on eBay's trading
platforms, was $16.2 billion. (Total GMV for the full
year 2007 was more than $59 billion.)
- eBay users worldwide trade more than $2,039 worth of
goods on the site every second.
- There were 637 million new listings added to eBay
worldwide in Q4-07. At any given time, there are
approximately 113 million listings worldwide, and
approximately 6.7 million listings are added per day.
eBay users trade in more than 50,000 categories.
- Based on Q4-07 GMV, the following categories
delivered $1 billion or more in worldwide annualized
GMV: eBay Motors at $17.2 billion; Consumer Electronics
at $6.8 billion; Computers at $4.1 billion; Clothing &
Accessories at $5.6 billion; Home & Garden at $4.1
billion; Collectibles at $2.9 billion;
Books/Music/Movies at $3.3 billion; Sports at $2.9
billion; Business & Industrial at $2.3 billion: Toys at
$2.7 billion; Jewelry & Watches at $2.5 billion; Cameras
& Photo at $1.8 billion; Antiques & Art at $1.2 billion;
Coins & Stamps at 1.2 billion and Tickets & Travel at $2
- While eBay is well-known for its auction format,
users can also buy and sell in fixed-price formats,
which accounted for 42 percent of total GMV during
- At the end of Q4-07, eBay hosted approximately
532,000 stores worldwide, with approximately 46 percent
of stores hosted on eBay's international sites.
- According to a June 2006 survey conducted by
ACNielsen International Research, there are
approximately 1.3 million sellers around the world who
use eBay as their primary or secondary source of income.
- eBay members worldwide have left more than 6 billion
feedback comments for one another regarding their eBay
- The most expensive item sold on eBay to date is a
private business jet for $4.9 million.